Friday, October 23, 2009

A (MADE-UP) CONVERSATION WITH THE OWNER OF THE JETS

My brother (Still About 10 Miles From The Citi) works in the radio industry in New York City. As such, he was at the Bon Jovi World Tour announcement Thursday afternoon.

Perhaps you're wondering why non-sports/non-Billy Joel music news makes news on my blog.

Well, first of all, the Bon Jovi concerts will be the first events at the New Meadowlands Stadium. Secondly, in attendance to announce the event was Jets owner Robert "Woody" Johnson. My brother shook Johnson's hand and said, "I'm a big fan." Johnson reportedly complimented my brother's sunglasses. (My brother is quite stylish.)

Of course, I fully expected my brother to then say, "My brother is an even bigger fan, and writes this great blog - you should check it out." He didn't. He tells me that if the conversation had lasted longer it probably would have been the next thing he mentioned. I'll buy that.

Anyway, it made me think of what I would say to Woody Johnson in a similar spot. It might go something like this:

"Hello, Mr. Johnson.

I just want to let you know I'm a huge Jets fan, and you've done a really nice job of getting the team going in the right direction since you took over the operation.

I'm a little disappointed, though, in the way you've handled this new stadium situation. The Jets belong in New York. You really dropped the ball with this stadium deal remaining in New Jersey.
The Jets have never had a home to call their own...and you're marketing this Jersey stadium as changing that. I hate to tell you, though, that a shared stadium won't feel much different than what the Jets' situation is right now. Sure, the stadium is beautiful and it won't have the Giants name on it...but it's still shared by both teams.

And I can't believe how terribly long-time season ticket holders are being treated in all this. My dad has had tickets for 40+ years, but your people aren't recognizing about a decade of that time. I bet if he was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars each season on the premium seats things would be different. But he's an upper deck ticket holder, who doesn't even have a personal seat license. So I guess he's not that important to you. That's the way I see it anyway, and why we're going to probably give up those season tickets after next season.

So that's been a bummer. But thanks for everything else. It's not so bad being a Jets fan anymore - Rex Ryan brings some excitement to the picture, and I like the promise of Mark Sanchez.

Keep up the good on-the-field work. And don't forget about us fans who might not be a certain cheerleading fireman.

And oh yeah, I wanted to give you these sunglasses. I thought you might like them.

I stole them from my brother."

No comments:

Post a Comment